Ekiti Govt Spent N680m on Disaster Victims in Two Years- Oyebanji
….as NEMA, SEMA offer safety tips against flooding, fire outbreaks
As part of the efforts to expand the scope of his welfare and social intervention programmes for the vulnerable, the Ekiti State Governor, Biodun Oyebanji, on Thursday, revealed that his administration had disbursed a staggering sum of N680 million to support victims of fire and rainstorm disasters who lost their property suddenly under heartrending situations.
To avert recurrent cases of rainstorm and fire outbreaks that were ravaging property in Ekiti, Governor Oyebanji,
appealed to the residents to be vigilant and eschew indiscriminate building of property on waterways and stop poor handling of electricity appliances in their residences.
Governor Oyebanji gave the revelation on Thursday, while distributing cheques worth N40 million and food palliatives to another set of fire and rainstorm disasters victims across some local councils in the state .
The governor, represented by the Deputy Governor, Chief (Mrs) Monisade Afuye, said the pains of sudden loss of multi million Naira property, businesses and means of livelihoods could be devastating, reiterating that no amount of assistance can completely replace what had been lost, but emphasized the government’s readiness to standing with the citizens in times of distress.
Reeling out the breakdown of the expenses, Governor Oyebanji, said within the time under review, a total of N205 million was distributed to fire disaster victims, while a sum of N436 million was disbursed to those who fell victim of rainstorm attacks.
The governor sympathised with the victims, pledging government’s consistent support to bail them out of the parlous situations they were mired, as someone offering a responsible and responsive leadership to the people.
“Today’s intervention demonstrates the commitment of Governor Oyebanji-led administration to the welfare, safety and wellbeing of the people. The distribution of these cheques and relief materials is a demonstration of compassion, responsibility and our shared commitment to ensuring that no citizen is left alone in the face of disaster.
“I use this opportunity to encourage our people to remain vigilant, especially during the rainy season. We should take precautionary measures, avoid activities that may expose us to unnecessary risks, and promptly report emerging hazards to the appropriate authorities”.
Oyebanji urged the beneficiaries not to despair nor be despondent in the face of challenges they were experiencing, saying his government identifies with them, and will continue to explore ways of supporting vulnerable citizens and strengthening disaster response mechanisms.
“As a Government, we will continue to strengthen disaster preparedness, prevention, response and recovery across the State. Our goal is to build a safer, more resilient Ekiti where communities are better prepared to withstand emergencies and recover quickly when disasters occur.
“I sympathise with all the victims of fire disasters and rainstorms. I pray that this intervention will bring some relief and enable the affected families to begin the process of rebuilding their lives”.
Saluting the state for its robust partnership, the National Emergency Management Agency head of operations, Ekiti and Ondo States, Mr Kazeem Olanrewaju, promised that the federal government will sustain the effective collaboration with the state government to reduce disasters that were ravaging property and killing innocent souls.
Olanrewaju added that the FG was not comfortable with how Nigerians are falling victims of natural and man- made disasters, calling on the state governments to midwife effective management policies and programmes that will tame such rising waves.
In his submission, the General Manager, Ekiti State Emergency Management Agency, Mr. Oludare Asaolu, revealed that the state government was troubled by the havocs being wreaked on buildings, farmlands, business premises and other property in the state, urging the residents to always take precautions to avert some of these occurrences.
Asaolu described the support as a direct intervention by government to put a soothing balm on the sufferings of the victims, assuring that the agency won’t shirk in its responsibilities of preventing and managing disaster cases effectively and with utmost honesty .
Also lending his voice, the Commissioner for Information, Hon Taiwo Olatunbosun, revealed that the government had taken a far reaching steps, like clearing of waterways, embracing mass mobilisation , midwifing widespread sensitisation and ensuring proper funding of SEMA to be able to prevent environmental and other hazardous incidences.
Olatunbosun assured that Governor Oyebanji-led government will continue to partner the stakeholders to abate cases of disasters and as well offer solace to victims through distribution of palliative materials and cash grants to help in rebuilding their losses.
